Deutsch English
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Strange (repeatable) crash on Vista 32-bit Options
wrongworld
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:30:25 PM
Groups: Member

Since yesterday, I have a constant crash while trying to index a certain folder.

I had previously a bunch of photos stored in separated folders located under <User Name>\Pictures. I could go there via pictoMio without problems: thumbnails, geo tags, everything was in perfect order. I normally transfer the pictures from my cameras to that location, then I do small adjustments like rotations, or I throw away the unwanted shots. Finally, I regroup the pictures in folder and/or subfolders according to the events represented (I know I could use the album feature, but I prefer to have the pictures well organized also at the file system level). The last step is to move the reorganized picture folders below the Vista's Public\Pictures folder, so that they are automatically shared to the other equipment connected to my home LAN.

So far, so good: I have followed the above procedure countless times, but yesterday something should have triggered a bug in pictoMio. Let's say for simplicity that I had the following file system structure:

Code:
<User Name>\Pictures
  <Event Folder>
    <Sub Folder 1>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 2>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 3>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 4>
      Picture ...

Now, as I said, this file system structure was perfectly browseable and indexable by pictoMio. I then moved the whole <Event Folder> under Public\Pictures. So I had:

Code:
Public\Pictures
  <Event Folder>
    <Sub Folder 1>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 2>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 3>
      Picture ...
    <Sub Folder 4>
      Picture ...

Now, by navigating in pictoMio to <Sub Folder 4>, pictoMio crashes. After many tries, which involved the manual removal of the images there contained, I identified a small set of pictures that constantly makes pictoMio to crash. It doesn't matter that those same pictures were perfectly handled when they were located in a different path, and indeed it doesn't matter of the pictures are moved in a different directory. It doesn't matter also that the pictures have not been modified in the mean time. In any case, pictoMio now crashes badly whenever it tries to index the directory where those pictures are stored, and to me it smells like something got corrupted in the pictoMio database. I tried to look for a method in this forum, which would permit me to recreate the db from scratch, but I haven't found it.

pictoMio folks, do you have any idea of what's going on? Is there a (practic or not) method to recreate the db from scratch, apart from deinstalling and reinstalling the application? (annoying)

Thanks.
Bleker
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:27:11 PM
Groups: Administration , Member, Pictomio Team

Hi wrongworld,

regrettably I couldn't reproduce the problem. So it would be helpful if you can send me a trace log.
This can be done by using our TraceClient.bat which is in your pictomio program folder.
Please open the TraceClient.bat, open pictomio, make it crash, close the TraceClient.bat and send me the TraceLog.txt (the file should be on your Desktop).

Quote:
I tried to look for a method in this forum, which would permit me to recreate the db from scratch, but I haven't found it.

You can reset the Database if you delete the content of this folder: C:\Users\bleker\AppData\Local\Pictomio
but you'll loose all of your saved tags, annotation, GPS information (if you didn't save them in the EXIF Data), Trips, etc.

Kind regards
Bleker
wrongworld
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:30:03 AM

Bleker wrote:
regrettably I couldn't reproduce the problem.

Nor am I :(

After having had the problem for the whole morning, I switched off my PC. Tonight I switched it on again, and now pictoMio works and it doesn't crash anymore! I really don't understand what was going on, but nevertheless I have produced the TraceLog.txt file just in case you may be still interested in it. I'll take notice of the trick in case of a future crash.

Quote:
You can reset the Database if you delete the content of this folder: C:\Users\bleker\AppData\Local\Pictomio
but you'll loose all of your saved tags, annotation, GPS information (if you didn't save them in the EXIF Data), Trips, etc.

I've annotated this trick also.

Many thanks!
tags
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:00:19 AM

"but you'll loose all of your saved tags, annotation, GPS information (if you didn't save them in the EXIF Data), Trips, etc."

How do you do that?
wrongworld
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:09:46 PM

tags wrote:
"but you'll loose all of your saved tags, annotation, GPS information (if you didn't save them in the EXIF Data), Trips, etc."

How do you do that?

I think I asked in another thread if this feature could be added in a future version of pictoMio. I hope it will be considered, because I find it useful and makes the pictures usable also in other GPS-enabled applications.
Bleker
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:27:06 AM
Groups: Administration , Member, Pictomio Team

Hi,

Quote:
makes the pictures usable also in other GPS-enabled applications.

to clarify the current features:
-you can save the GPS information to your exif tags(see the attached image) and you can export your trip as a .nmea, .gpx, .kml, .kmz
-the only things you can't export are the tags and annotations

Kind regards
Bleker

File Attachment(s):
savetoexif.jpg (616kb) downloaded 35 time(s).