Deutsch English
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Geo tags information interoperability with other applications Options
wrongworld
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 8:42:56 AM
Groups: Member

Other than the wonderful pictoGEO, I had previously installed on my PC the Picture Motion Browser (PMB) 3.x application by Sony. It came with my camcorder, and it has too the possibility to georeference (albeit manually) a picture. Just to do a quick test, I indexed a folder full of pictures geotagged with pictoGEO, but none of them had the small compass indicator shown in the PMB browser window (which means that a picture has geo tags added). Indeed, I tried to modify the geo position of one of those pictures, since it was taken in a garage (no GPS signal) and the attached geo location was obviously approximated and wrong.

Once I've finished setting manually the geo position in the PMB application, the picture was finally recognized by the PMB application as having geo tags, AND it was still recognized as such by pictoMio. Hence, it seems to me that there is a possible interoperability problem between the way pictoGEO writes the geo tags in the JPEG/EXIF tags, and the way other geo-enabled applications interpret them. I remember that when I had the Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2 installed (which I haven't anymore), it used to have 2 or 3 ways to write geo tags (all of them at the same time). Microsoft probably envisioned that a real standard for JPEG geotagging has not been fully established, and it tried to cope with the various pseudo/legacy standards adopted in the mean time.

It may be interesting to investigate and/or enhance pictoGEO in order to have a broader usage of the pictures it geotags. On request, I can send privately a sample picture geotagged by PMB to the pictoGEO programmers.

--- Edit ---

I may be confused. I thought initially that when the GPS indicator appears on the pictoMio picture's thumbnail the actual geo tags were present in the EXIF data. It doesn't seem to be the case, though: by clicking on the EXIF data right tab, the geo information is not shown effectively within the EXIF tags, BUT it is shown when I look at the picture geotagged with PMB, and when I look at a picture whose geo location I manually changed within pictoMio (but only AFTER I accepted to apply the changes to the EXIF tags, as requested by pictoMio).

So, apparently the geo information in a picture is logically tied to a pictoGEO trip until... when? Could some of the programmers clarify this? Also, PMB puts in the EXIF data the Map datum (WGS 84), while pictoMio apparently does not (of course, when it writes to the EXIF tags...)

Thanks.
Bleker
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 3:46:50 PM
Groups: Administration , Member, Pictomio Team

Hi wrongworld,

Quote:
On request, I can send privately a sample picture geotagged by PMB to the pictoGEO programmers.

this would be really helpful please send it to support1@pictomio.com

Quote:
--- Edit ---

I may be confused. I thought initially that when the GPS indicator appears on the pictoMio picture's thumbnail the actual geo tags were present in the EXIF data. It doesn't seem to be the case, though: by clicking on the EXIF data right tab, the geo information is not shown effectively within the EXIF tags, BUT it is shown when I look at the picture geotagged with PMB, and when I look at a picture whose geo location I manually changed within pictoMio (but only AFTER I accepted to apply the changes to the EXIF tags, as requested by pictoMio).

So, apparently the geo information in a picture is logically tied to a pictoGEO trip until... when? Could some of the programmers clarify this? Also, PMB puts in the EXIF data the Map datum (WGS 84), while pictoMio apparently does not (of course, when it writes to the EXIF tags...)

PictoGeo saves the GPS information inside an internal DB. If the DB contains GPS information the icon appears but this isn't related to a trip. Also a picture, which was tagged manually by putting it on the map without saving the GPS information to the EXIF, will get the icon.

Kind regards
Bleker
wrongworld
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 9:09:13 PM
Groups: Member

Bleker wrote:
this would be really helpful please send it to support1@pictomio.com

You should have a new mail in your mailbox :)

Please try also to see what the other tool does (Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2).

Bleker wrote:
PictoGeo saves the GPS information inside an internal DB. If the DB contains GPS information the icon appears but this isn't related to a trip. Also a picture, which was tagged manually by putting it on the map without saving the GPS information to the EXIF, will get the icon.

Thank you for the info, Bleker. This explains why the other geo-enabled programs didn't find the geo information in the tagged pictures. May I add that it would be nice to have the option to transfer the DB data to the pictures themselves, in batch or singularly? It not only would improve the interoperability, but also it would permit to re-create the DB from scratch in case of a DB failure while the original trip data had been deleted.